Research Assistant/ Systematic Reviewer
Application deadline: 22 March 2019
Symmetron is a health economics and outcomes research consultancy with over a decade of experience and successful commercial activity in developing evidence generation and synthesis, decision-analytic modelling, and statistical analysis in economic evaluations. Symmetron is made up of a team of enthusiastic healthcare researchers based in the UK, Canada and South Africa. We promote a culture of creativity, independent thinking, team work, and scientific excellence. Our experience involves the design, development, and communication of solutions for major pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers, both at a global and regional level.
Our Outcomes Team identify, analyse and interpret evidence to understand the value of new medical technologies. The work focuses on the delivery of high-quality systematic reviews of clinical and health economic evidence, key aspects of health technology assessment. The team’s outputs range from stand-alone systematic review reports to datasets used for statistical modelling.
To support growing demand, we are looking for a Research Assistant/ Systematic Reviewer to join the team. This is an opportunity for a driven, enthusiastic individual with a keen interest in gaining skills and understanding in systematic reviews and their application in health technology assessment. Symmetron takes a broad view of developing people and both candidates with some prior experience of systematic reviews, as well as those wanting to start a career in this area will be considered for the post. The successful candidate will receive on-the-job training from our senior researchers, whilst working on a range of projects. There will also be opportunities for external training.
Our company offers a very competitive base salary, access into a bonus scheme and excellent benefits.
With guidance from senior researchers undertake work on all aspects of systematic reviews of clinical and health economic research:
• Develop new systematic review questions and protocols,
• Develop search strategies for medical literature databases using international best practice guidelines,
• Perform study selection, data extraction, and quality assessment,
• Interpret and synthesise the identified evidence,
• Develop systematic review reports,
• Assist in the preparation of relevant draft manuscripts, posters and other publications.
Essential requirements and qualifications
• Undergraduate degree in medicine, pharmacology, life sciences, economics or another relevant discipline,
• Critical thinking, analytical skills, basic numeracy,
• Excellent accuracy and attention to detail,
• An organised and methodological approach to planning and delivering work,
• Willingness to learn new skills and develop within the role,
• Communication skills to effectively engage with a wide-ranging audience, both orally and in writing,
• The ability to work effectively as part of a small team,
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
Desirable skills and experience
• Some prior experience of systematic reviews,
• Experience in critical appraisal or data analysis,
• Postgraduate qualifications in a relevant discipline.
• For further information, please contact Silvana Zeolla via: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants must provide a complete CV and an accompanying cover letter. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a face-to-face interview in March or early April.
- This is a permanent, full-time position for our office in central London; part-time, home-based applicants will be considered.
- The government currently enforces restrictions on granting citizens that are not from the European Economic Area (EEA) the right to work in the UK. All non-EEA citizens are requested to specify in their application whether they have the right to work in the UK.
- Note that international travel may be required to meet and liaise with clients.
- No agencies