Health Outcomes Analyst / Systematic Reviewer
Location: London, UK
Application deadline: 17th December 2021 (candidates will be considered on a rolling basis).
Who are we?
Symmetron is a health economics and outcomes research consultancy with over a decade of experience in evidence generation, decision-analytic modelling and statistical analysis in economic evaluations. We are made up of a team of enthusiastic healthcare researchers based in the UK. Our experience involves designing, developing, and communicating solutions for major pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers, both at a global and regional level. We promote a culture of creativity, independent thinking, teamwork and scientific excellence.
To support growing demand, we are looking for an entry-level health outcomes analyst with exceptional attention to detail to join the team. Our outcomes team identify, gather and interpret evidence to understand the value of new medical advancements. Our work focuses on delivering high-quality literature reviews of clinical, health economic and real-world evidence, often to inform manuscripts or health technology assessment materials. Our reviews can be systematic, rapid or pragmatic and usually lead to qualitative or quantitative synthesis, including network meta-analyses.
Who are we looking for?
This job is an opportunity for a driven, enthusiastic individual with a keen interest in gaining skills and understanding in literature reviews. Symmetron takes a broad view of developing people. Candidates with prior experience in literature reviews and those wanting to start a career in this area are encouraged to apply for the post. The successful candidate will receive on-the-job training from our senior researchers whilst working on a range of projects. There will also be opportunities for external training.
Our company offers a very competitive base salary, access to a bonus scheme and excellent benefits.
- Work with a senior researcher to develop new review questions and study protocols.
- Develop search strategies using international best practice guidelines.
- Perform all other functions of a literature review, including study selection, database management, data extraction and quality assessment.
- Assist in the interpretation and synthesis of the evidence, as well as the development of study reports.
- Assist in the development of slide decks, study reports, manuscripts, posters and other publications related to outcomes research.
- Assist in the day-to-day management of projects, client communication, presentations and administration of client meetings.
- Assist in business development activities, including tasks related to proposals for new projects.
- Undertake activities related to quality assurance (i.e. using quality assurance checklists, proofing).
- Undertake activities of continuous professional development and learning.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties, and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by the organisation’s overall business objectives.
Essential requirements and qualifications
- A minimum of a 2:1 undergraduate degree or higher in medicine, pharmacology, life sciences, mathematics, economics, statistics or another relevant discipline.
- Critical thinking, analytical skills, basic numeracy.
- A genuine interest in critically reviewing scientific literature.
- Able to synthesise large amounts of scientific information under a deadline.
- An organised and methodological approach to planning and delivering work of a high quality.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively engage with a wide-ranging audience.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- The ability to maintain a high quality of the deliverables given competing demands and changing deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team-oriented environment, taking responsibility for specific areas of a project with support from more experienced researchers.
- High self-motivation, can-do attitude, optimistic outlook.
- Willingness to learn new skills and develop within the role.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Desirable skills and experience
These are nice-to-have skills. Candidates that do not fulfil these requirements but have an interest in this role are encouraged to apply.
- Experience or understanding of conducting and/or critiquing literature reviews (ideally using a systematic methodology).
- Experience or understanding of evidence synthesis: assisting on or independently performing a meta-analysis.
- Experience using EndNote.
- Understanding of clinical trial design and statistical methods.
- Previous experience in an HTA organisation or outcomes research consultancy.
- Familiar with the evidentiary requirements for submissions to health technology assessment (HTA) bodies (e.g. the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence).
- Postgraduate qualifications in a relevant discipline.
- Please complete this short online form: https://symmetron.typeform.com/to/vQGDuj2Q
- Candidates successful in this first round will be contacted for a preliminary phone call.
- For any questions about the recruitment process, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is a full-time position based in our offices in Central London. Working from home is encouraged and organised around staff roles and responsibilities. Office attendance may be expected in line with government guidance on COVID-19 restrictions.
- The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment.
- No agencies, please.